January 1, 2001
Register for winter recreation activities
Pick up a copy of the Winter 2001 Recreation, Intramural
Guide to see the extensive selection of activities for winter quarter. Recreation
registration for students begins on Tuesday, January 9, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
at the Recreation Office, East Field House. Recreation registration for staff, faculty,
and community members begins the next day, January 10, at 9 a.m. at the Recreation
Office. Phone registration begins Thursday, January 11, at 9 a.m. Call 459-2806 to
pay by phone.
Call for UCRS Advisory Board candidates
Employees who are active members of the University of California Retirement Plan
(UCRP) but not members of the Academic Senate are invited to run for election to
the University of California Retirement System (UCRS) Advisory Board. The term of
the elected candidate will be April 1, 2001, through June 30, 2004. Interested candidates
must submit a brief biographical statement and a petition signed by at least 50 active
UCRP members who are not Academic Senate members. Nomination packets are available
from the campus Benefits Office. UC HR/Benefits must receive completed nomination
packets by Friday, January 19, 2001. Full
text of memo
Title IX Advisory Council members for
The 2000-01 Title IX Advisory Council membership is as follows:
- Ellen Borger, assistant to the dean, Social Sciences, chair (fall),
- Gwendolyn Mink, professor of politics, chair (winter, spring),
- Campbell Leaper, associate dean of Social Sciences & Colleges Nine and Ten,
and associate professor of psychology,
- Sandra Chung, professor of linguistics,
- Antoinette Gonzalez, graduate assistant, Graduate Studies,
- Andrea Costello, undergraduate student, Stevenson College,
- Susan Taylor, administrative assistant to the assistant chancellor for HR, staff
to the committee.
- Graduate student position is open.
For information on the role of the Title IX Advisory Council please see the
UCSC Sex Offense Policy and Procedures for Reports of Sexual Assault(s)
(Section VI. page 10) and Sexual Harassment (Section III.C, page 19 &
Section V., page 21). This information is also available on the web at
Drop-in fitness classes
Drop-in fitness classes will start in January, call 459-2806
for more details. Classes will be held from noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays
at the East Field House.
New GSA officers selected
The Graduate Student Association has selected new officers
- President: Lee Ritscher
- Internal Vice President: Tina Chin
- External Vice President: Heather DeShon
- Secretary: Dave Machledt
- Treasurer: Jesse Matonak
The Graduate Student Association can be reached at email@example.com.
UCSC Forum on Community Television
Below is the broadcast schedule for UCSC Forum for January. Shows air on Community
Television, Channel 72, at 8 p.m. Sundays, with a rebroadcast at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
- January 7: "Awakening": A new film by Chip Lord (repeat) (rebroadcast
- January 14: Angela Oh on Racial Politics (repeat) (rebroadcast January 17)
- January 21: Ravi Rajan: "Modernizing Nature: Tropical Forests, Scientific
Experts, and the Contested Legacy of British Colonial Ecodevelopment: 1800-2000"
(repeat) (rebroadcast January 24)
- January 28: Angela Davis: "The Prisoner Exchange: The Underside of Civil
Rights" (repeat) (rebroadcast January 31)
Currents is now providing monthly updates on construction projects that
have an impact on campus transportation and parking. Construction
For more information, visit the Transportation
and Parking Services web site and the Physical
Planning and Construction web site.