About UCSC Academic Programs Research News & Events Administration Prospective Students & Admissions Full Search A-Z Index Find People FAQ
UC Santa Cruz Skip UC Seal
Subject Links  
Utility Links

Administrative Messages

April 28, 2003

To: UC Santa Cruz Community

Re: Message from Chancellor: New Opportunity

Dear Colleagues:

Later today, at a news conference in Monterey, the University of California and the Monterey Institute of International Studies will announce that they are in preliminary discussions regarding the possibility of the Institute becoming a part of the University of California.

UC Santa Cruz will be the lead UC campus in the ensuing discussions. Should the Institute ultimately become a part of the University of California, it would be administered as a unit of UC Santa Cruz.

This is an opportunity that offers potential significant benefit to the people of California and the nation. Among other possible advantages, there are several existing areas of programmatic compatibility between the Institute and UCSC. Should the Institute become a part of the University, opportunities for graduate work, undergraduate study, and research could increase significantly in those areas.

I hold the enthusiastic hope that discussions will result in a positive outcome. However, I want to emphasize that no commitment has yet been made. There are many questions to be posed and answered before final negotiations are imminent.

For more detail, I refer you to a copy of the news release being issued today. It is available at http://www.ucsc.edu/news_events/press_releases/text.asp?pid=335. Campus Provost John Simpson and I will welcome your questions or comments--we plan to consult widely on this interesting opportunity. Faculty may also want to discuss this prospect with your respective deans.

My best to you,
M.R.C. Greenwood

Back to Administrative Messages Index

Maintained by:pioweb@ucsc.edu