To: The Campus Community
From: Business and Administrative Services
Re: Campus Closure
In addition to the scheduled 1998-99 holidays--December 24, 25, and
31, and January 1--and weekend days--December 26 and 27 and January 2--much
of the campus will be shut down on December 28, 29, and 30. For safety
reasons, Police and Fire units will be on duty throughout the shutdown
period. In case of emergency, call the campus emergency number, 911. Minimal
custodial service will be provided for those facilities that remain open.
Building and Utility Services personnel will be on standby.
The following campus units have arranged to be open and/or have limited
staff available during all or part of the shutdown. Except where noted,
these arrangements cover the non-holiday weekdays (December 28, 29, and
30) during the shutdown period. For security reasons, buildings will not
be routinely unlocked. Therefore, faculty and staff will need building
keys or must make special arrangements to ensure access to their building.
- The ARBORETUM will be open.
- The BAY TREE BOOKSTORE will be staffed to unload, price, and
shelve textbooks. It will not be open for sales during the break.
- COMMUNICATIONS AND TECHNOLOGY SERVICES will provide limited
computer support services; please report campus network problems on the
special message phone, 459-3798. Telephone service during this period will
be the same as the campus normally provides on weekends and holidays. For
details about these and other CATS services, see the CATS Web
- The GRADUATE DIVISION ADMISSIONS SECTION will be staffed to
- The GRANARY CHILD CARE SERVICES will be open December 28 through
- KZSC will be in operation per FCC regulations.
- LIBRARIES (McHenry and Science) will be open for circulation
only on December 28 and 29 from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- LONG MARINE LABORATORY will keep the "Window to Discovery"
visitor program open to the public during the closure from 1 to 4 PM on
the following dates: December 26, 27, 29, 30, and 31, and January 2 and
3. The whole community is invited to visit Long Marine Lab courtesy of
their excellent volunteer docents who will show visitors around and answer
questions about UCSC's marine research, animals and facilities, and the
- MAIL SERVICES (Applied Sciences) will have limited staffing
to sort incoming mail, with no campus deliveries scheduled.
- NATURAL SCIENCES laboratory buildings and the trailers surrounding
science buildings will be kept operational to support ongoing research.
- OPERS: Pool/locker rooms and the West Fieldhouse will be open
only for scheduled swim team and intramural team practices.
- PHYSICAL PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION will have limited staff to
work on current construction projects. However, the office will not be
- PHYSICAL PLANT will have limited staffing. For emergency repairs
call ext. 4444.
- The STEVENSON COLLEGE MAIL ROOM will be open to accept deliveries
for the colleges on weekdays except December 25 and January 1.
- The STUDENT CENTER PRESS CENTER will be staffed to prepare its
first winter issue.
- UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT will be open with limited staffing to
serve year-end donors 8 AM-noon on December 24 and 31, and 8 AM-noon and
1-5 PM on December 28, 29, and 30.
At every college, utilities will be provided to residence halls, apartments,
guest suites, faculty apartments, and college houses.
All campus units closing during this shutdown period are urged to make
sure that computing equipment and refrigerators are shut down for maximum
energy savings. If disposing of food from refrigerators, please place it
in dumpsters to avoid pests and spoiled food in buildings. If you are working
during the closure, please be sure to turn off lights, computers, and other
electrical equipment upon leaving the area. Also, make sure doors are locked
when you leave. To avoid fire hazard risks, please do not use electric
space heaters during the shutdown.
Please note that buildings tend to take a significantly longer time
to warm up after a shutdown even though the heating systems are on. You
are encouraged to dress warmly when working in buildings that have been
closed. The Heat Plant requests your cooperation and patience during the
first week of January as buildings are brought back to their normal temperatures.
Business and Administrative Services, (831) 459-3778
To the Administrative Messages index page
To the Currents home page
To UCSC's home page