Help Quick Links Directory Search Sitemap A-Z Index Resources Research Partnerships News & Events Admissions Administration Academics General Info UC Santa Cruz Home Page UCSC NAV BAR

Press Releases

February 8, 1996 Contact: Robert Irion (408) 459-2495; irion@ua.ucsc.edu

UC SANTA CRUZ MATHEMATICIAN WINS NATIONAL TEACHING AWARD

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SANTA CRUZ, CA--Mathematician Edward M. Landesman of the University of California, Santa Cruz, is one of three professors to earn a leading national award in recognition of distinguished teaching in mathematics.

Landesman received the 1996 Deborah and Franklin Tepper Haimo Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics at a recent meeting of the Mathematical Association of America and the American Mathematical Society. Established in 1991, the award honors teachers "who are widely recognized as extraordinarily successful and whose teaching effectiveness clearly has had an influence beyond their own institutions."

"Landesman's effectiveness as a teacher encompasses the full mathematics curriculum," reads part of his award citation. "Whenever he teaches in the core courses required or encouraged of majors, enrollments surge. Students often put off taking a course until he teaches it."

One of Landesman's former students, now a college mathematics teacher, provided this testimonial: "I can't emphasize enough the significant role Ed has played in shaping both my mathematics and teaching careers. Ed's successes as a teacher are reflected in his popularity among undergraduate and graduate students and serve as a model and inspiration to me. It is with the utmost respect and admiration that I reflect upon Ed's teaching and acknowledge how fortunate I was to be instructed by the greatest teacher I have ever known."

The other recipients of this year's award, which carries a cash prize of $1,000, are professors Thomas F. Banchoff of Brown University and Herbert S. Wilf of the University of Pennsylvania.

Landesman earned his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. from UCLA and joined the UCSC faculty in 1966. He has served as provost of Crown College and as associate academic vice chancellor for undergraduate education. He is interested in the teaching of mathematics at all levels and has spent many years working with teachers at primary and secondary schools. His peers and students have recognized his efforts with several other honors, including the Distinguished Teaching Award from the UCSC Alumni Association in 1984 and an Excellence in Teaching Award from the Northern California Association of Phi Beta Kappa in 1987.

####

Press Releases Home | Search Press Releases | Press Release Archive | Services for Journalists

UCSC nav bar

UCSC navbar

Maintained by:pioweb@cats.ucsc.edu