Frequently Asked Questions
- Where should I send my gift check?
- How should I make out my gift check?
- How do I set up a matching gift?
- What if I am a UCSC faculty or staff member and want to make a contribution to the campus through payroll deduction?
- How do I make a gift of securities?
- What if I want to make a gift in memory or honor of someone?
- How do I report/record my donation for tax purposes?
- What if I have misplaced or lost my Official Gift Receipt?
- Where can I go for additional information about tax deductible contributions?
- What if I still have questions?
Gift checks to the university should be mailed to:
UC Santa Cruz
att: Gift Administration
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Gift checks can also be delivered in person to the Carriage House located near the main entrance to campus. For directions, please see the UC Santa Cruz campus map.
Please be sure to note in the memo portion of your check which campus program you would like to support.
If you are a donor to our campus and unsure how to make out your gift check, please contact Adam Goduto, Director of the Annual Fund (agoduto, 831-459-2489), for assistance.
If you are a campus staff or faculty member, please contact Gift Administration for assistance.
If you, your spouse, or domestic partner works for a matching gift company, your contribution to UC Santa Cruz can be doubled, or even tripled. To find out if your employer matches tax deductible donations, contact your human resources office. Your human resources office will provide you with information about your companyís matching gift program and supply the necessary paperwork.
Anyone who is employed by UC Santa Cruz can make donations to the campus through payroll deduction. To sign up for automatic payroll deduction in support of your favorite program, use the Payroll Deduction Form (PDF, 44K). Donations made through payroll deduction are post-tax contributions.
The safest and most efficient method is to transfer your securities electronically. For specific instructions on electronic securities transfer, please contact Kathryn Buckholdt, Gift Manager, at 831-427-4768 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Making a contribution to UC Santa Cruz is a wonderful way to memorialize loved ones and continue their legacy. Simply include a note indicating who the gift is in memory of and contact information for the next of kin. A notecard will be sent to the next of kin indicating a gift has been made and by whom.
Honoring a loved one or marking a special occasion such as a birthday, bar mitzvah, graduation? Simply include a note indicating who the gift is honoring and the occasion that inspired the donation. A notecard will be sent to the individual being honored indicating a gift has been made and by whom.
Upon receipt of your contribution, you will be issued an Official Gift Receipt with the value of your donation, its campus designation, and the appropriate federal tax identification number. Please retain copies of your Official Gift Receipt for your income-tax record.
We would be happy to send you a copy of your Official Gift Receipt. Simply contact a member of our Gift Administration staff to request a copy.
For additional information about tax deductible donations, please see the following Internal Revenue Service resource links:
- IRS home page
- IRS Tax Topic 506, Contributions
- IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions
- IRS Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property
- IRS Form 8283 for Noncash Charitable Contributions of $500 or more
If you have additional questions, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you.